3 Nephi 15

3 Nephi 15

In chapter 11 it says the Nephites "did open their ears" so they could hear the voice of God and what was being said. The Savior descended and taught them for a few chapters.  Now, here in verse 1 He acknowledges that "Behold ye have heard the things which I taught..."

They opened their ears and heard, and understood, what the Savior said.

The next step is, according to the Savior, to remember. The final step is to do.

1. Listen.
2. Remember.
3. Do

That's the pattern to success in the gospel, and in life.


I love learning about the house of Israel in the Old Testament. I've been studying the Old Testament for a few years now, and it's been fascinating for me to learn about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph; to see how the covenant which the Savior talks about here, was made; to read about the rise and fall of the physical house of Israel; how Lehi was of the tribe of Joseph of the house of Israel (one of the few) who lived in the kingdom of Judah (Jerusalem) when he was led out (therefore he and his posterity wrote the Book of Mormon, or the Stick of Joseph), etc.

I also love to learn about the law of Moses, which the Nephites practiced as well as the Jews, until the time of the Savior's coming.

I love to learn about these things because this is my family, my hertiage- our heritage. When I was baptized, I wasn't just baptized into 'the Church'. I was baptized  into the family and covenant of Abraham (the covenant which Jesus speaks of in this chapter.)  Their choices waaay back when matter to me, because they are my family, and I am a part of it.

That makes the scriptures real to me.

Luckily I live in a time where the Law of Moses was fulfilled. The purpose of the law was to give the people smaller daily tasks, routines and rituals to keep them focused on the Savior until He came. The Nephites lived the law of Moses correctly- they recognized the Savior when he came. The Jews, not so much. They were unrighteous and could not understand. They 'missed the mark' so much so that they crucified their own Savior.  These were people who lived their version of the Law of Moses to the T- and law that they had twisted and added to over thousands of years. The leaders changed it, the followers accepted the change, and they missed the mark.

When the Savior came, there was no reason for the tasks, routines and rituals, because He was here.  He fulfilled that law.  Now he asked them to keep his commandments and live a higher law. The Jews didn't see it. These people did.

The Jews didn't hear it.  These people did.  And I hope I do, too.

Comments

  1. I actually had a morning with a very small break in the chaos and thought "I am only a couple chapters behind- I will catch up." But then I realized I didn't have the energy.

    So personal reminder and moment of personal inspiration.... It doesn't matter where you are on the path, it's which way you are headed. It doesn't matter that I got behind, because I can start again where ever we are at.

    It immediately took off the pressure of feeling like I wasn't doing everything I should have been.

    All this flash of inspiring motivation came during verse one.... "therefore, whoso remembereth these sayings of mine and doeth them, him I will raise of at the last day."

    Christ basically asks us to remember him, follow him and it will all be okay. Even when the temporary shower curtain falls on your head while taking a shower and it just seems like it's a never ending cycle of stuff falling on your head... you can still take a quiet moment and remember that Jesus loves you and somedays life is just life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts