Mosiah 28

Mosiah 28

This chapter is about faith and family.  It really had not been that long since the Nephites escaped the clutches and dominion of the Lamananites.  These very Lamanites taxed them, mocked them and tried to kill them.

And now, here are the sons of Mosiah, approaching their father saying, "Hey, Dad.  We'd like to go back there and teach them about God."  No wonder they had to ask for many days.  I wouldn't have let them go!  How frightening for Mosiah, as a father, to even consider allowing his sons to purposefully to into such dangerous conditions. I'm sure he would have said no, if it weren't for the answer he received from the Lord.

If find it interesting to note that in chapter 26 Mosiah turned to Alma for inspiration when it came to a kingdom matter. But this was  a family matter, and he took it to the Lord himself.  The Lord came back gave a green light to his sons.  I wonder if Mosiah was still scared for them.  Nevertheless (awesome word!) he allowed them to go because he had faith in the answer he received and the promised that the Lord extended.

As a parent, it is frightening to make choices that I know will affect my children forever. I pray often that I will be in tune to the Spirit, so that I might lead and guide my children where the Lord wants them to go.


This chapter also refers to two other parts of the Book of Mormon.  Verse 9 refers to Alma chpaters 17-26. And verse 19 refers to the book of Ether.

The talk about the Urim and Thummim was cool, too :)

What do did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. Finally got a chance today to catch up with last weeks readings after my insane week. Really missed it actually. And some of it was applicable to what I had been through.

    The verse that I loved the most in this chapter was verse 3 - "Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish, yea even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble." What awesome missionary examples these sons of Mosiah were! They truly loved their fellow men, so much so that they risked their lives to save them. Amazing courage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts