Alma 5

Alma 5

...and they awoke unto God...their souls were illuminated

What beautiful descriptive words.

I love this verse: 16 I say unto you, can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me yeablessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?



Can I imagine the voice of the Lord taking to me?What would I like Him to say? What would He actually say?  Do I have the image of God in my countenance?

Yesterday- not so much.  Lol. It was kind of a rough day.  I wasn't in the best of moods; not as kind as I normally am, not as patient, not as good.  I feel badly about it, and this chapter didn't help. Just kidding.

Seriously- this chapter did help.  It was a beautiful reminder of who and how I should be.


This speech was made by Alma the Younger.  Remember, he was the one who saw the angel of God and was struck down for three days while he was in an amazing repentance process. But, despite these wonderful and very real experiences, listen to how he explains he received his testimony:

46 Behold, I say unto you they are made aknown unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have bfasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit ofcrevelation which is in me.

It's the Spirit that gives us our testimony- not our experiences. it's how much we open our hearts to the Spirit and allow him to testify of the truthfulness for the gospel. The same things happened to the twelve apostles. Even thought they walked with Jesus, it was when they were pricked in their hearts that they knew.

What did you think/learn today.





Comments

  1. So many great thoughts in this chapter. I just want to mention two of them. The first goes with verses 21 and 22. I could just picture myself standing in front of God with a white dress on and red paint splattered all over it and feeling total guilt and sadness. Not a pretty picture. Hope that doesn't happen.

    The other was verse 59 and 60 about the good shepherd. There are so many ravenous wolves out there today in the many forms that satan takes. It makes me afraid for my kids. I pray the shepherd will protect them.

    Just wanted to share one other thought that I read today which I really liked.
    "Our first priority should go to spiritual learning. For us, reading the scriptures would come before reading history books. Prayer would come before memorizing those Spanish verbs. A temple recommend would be worth more than standing first in our graduating class. But it is also clear that spiritual learning would not replace our drive for secular learning. - Henry B. Eyring, “Real-Life Education,” Ensign, April 2009
    Are the spiritual things in our life our highest priority?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts