Mosiah 27

I know now why I am gaining weight.

Verse 7: "And the Lord did visit them and prosper them, and they became a large (and wealthy) people."

And all this time people were telling me it was the ice cream and cookies!!  I don't overeat.  I'm just blessed.  Lol.


I love the story here about the conversion of Alma Jr and his buddies.  What an amazing account!  One of the things that caught my attention was the verses on being truly converted.  Seeing an angle didn't convert Alma. It shocked him and left him dumbfounded. But it didn't convert him.

It was a very personal repentance process with His Savior, and took great effort on his part, for Alma Jr to be born again.

I think some people sit back and wait to be 'wowed' into believing. They want to see a sign, or witness a miracle. Then they will believe.  But conversion--a mighty change of heart--can only come through pure repentance. We are redeemed as deeply as we are converted. (25)

I also love how the moment Alma had regained his full capacities, he went to work righting his wrongs and preaching the gospel.

Faith is the art of doing what you believe. And he did.

Comments

  1. I have been trying to think of something profound to say but all I can think of is your comment of people being "wowed." There are plenty of examples in the scriptures, church history, and even people I know personally, of someone being "wowed" by a visit from an angel or some life altering event. But unless the person continued to work on his/her spiritual life each day, the wow factor does fade. It's not about the big spiritual experiences that touch us, or even change us at the time, it's how we apply those spiritual experiences day after day. Alma could have easily slipped back into the bad ways, but he chose to work each day to right the wrongs and walk a good path. The real a-ha-moments are often found in the little things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts