1 Nephi 16

Click here to read chapter online

(DISCLAIMER- Got a case of the giggles this morning as I read and put me in a funny mood. Warning- the following post may not be as 'spiritual' as the others. So, lower expectations now. Just sayin')




Ah, the Liahona! 

Sometimes I wish I had one. Something I could hold right in my hands that would point me where to go, and what to do.

Yes, I hear you, that's why we have the scriptures and the Holy Ghost. I know.

But still. It would be cool.

Moving on.....

Shout out to food storage and emergency prep in verse 11!

Moving on again....



Nephi breaks his bow while hunting.



There is a couple different sayings I use with my kids so much that they are ingrained into their brains.  One of the is, "Be a problem solver, not a problem maker."


"What? Nephi broke his bow? We'll never make it."




Laman and Lemuel were so not problem solvers. They resolve buckled at the least resistance. They lost their strings and whined. Problem makers.





"I've got an idea. I'll just make another one..."




Nephi, on the other hand was a problem solver.  He  breaks his bow and makes a new one out of wood. Problem solver.







A problem is essentially something that goes against our own plans that requires added effort (mentally and physically) to resolve. It isn't the end of the world (unless your Laman and Lemuel)

"Are you serious, Laman? We're gonna die unless we whine or complain or try to kill Nephi?"
"This is hard! It's all his fauhahahahalt!"
(I warned you.)




On a little more serious note---- verse 29 is one my favorite verses: ...And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things."

The verse has a dual meaning for me. First, I often feel like I am a small cog in a big machine. This verse reminds me that, as small as I am, through me He can do great things.

Secondly, it reminds me that even the small things in life can be seen as great things when I look at them in the proper perspective.

I'm excited to hear all of your spiritual insights. I promise, I'll stop giggling before I comment on them :)

Comments

  1. Giggle away. Spirituality doesn't always have to be so serious! My comments certainly aren't.

    I seriously wondered what the writing on the Liahona was? Little qippy quote of the day? It kept changing and it couldn't have been very big.

    And I agree... I also want a Liahona. It's a very concrete way to judge your spiritual faith each day. We have to take our own temperature, but if they were not repentant and humble, they didn't know which way to go or where to find food! Somedays I need that concrete- in your face- thermometer instead of relying on my self.

    I have struggled the last week with being labeled doomsday, paranoid, crazy. Nephi was having those "you are a nut" issues as well. Besides a Liahona, I would mind a ministering angel or two- or the voice of the Lord- to back me up! I relate to Nephi feeling kind of alone and ignored, even by his father at times. And Lehi was the one who started the whole journey in the first place.

    When you are the one who is trying to live a commandment and those around you rain on your parade, so to speak, it makes it even harder to fight the good fight. I wonder if Nephi ever felt like - Geez. I just want to give up and go back to our life of plenty and quit fighting with these yayhoos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the Liahona have a 140 character limit? Just wondering. :)

    I found the formula for not complaining in verse 3: "if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it". 1) righteous 2) willing 3) do it!

    Those who try to do what is right and are given a challenge need be willing to attempt it. And if they do it, they will see blessings. This is applicable to challenges that local leadership extend. It's funny how often I see good people mock the invitations their leaders extend to them. (ie, read the book of mormon in 3 months, attend the temple once a month, etc). The people who complain about these things are missing one or more of those 3 ingredients. They're either not living the commandments and lack the spirit, they're just plain not willing, or they haven't tried yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chapter is a good reminder of what it means to endure to the end and keep the faith. It seems to me that Laman and Lemuel were righteous there for a long while. It says that "they did humble themselves before the Lord; insomuch that I (Nephi) had joy and great hopes of them, that they would walk in the paths of righteousness." And then Lehi had the vision to "take his journey into the wilderness" and Nephi mentions that they "traveled for the space of four days", "traveled for the space of many days" a couple times and then rested from traveling for a "space of a time". It doesn't say exactly how long that was. But I would imagine it was a good chunk of time. All throughout this time Nephi does not mention any murmuring. Laman and Lemuel followed their father. Then yes, they ultimately couldn't handle the bows being broken and started complaining all over again.

    This shows the need for our testimonies to remain strong and keep vigilant at making them even stronger so when trials come we don't let them knock us down. Ultimately our goal is be like Nephi - always strong and obedient and not like Laman and Lemuel who throw everything out the window at any sign of struggle or hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me my personal liahona is not only revelation, but my patriarchal blessing. Yes, even used often can inspire my to act/be different than I had planned (natural man). Thank good a loving Father gave me one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts