1 Nephi 1

1 Nephi 1

As I read this chapter I was intrigued by the fervency with which Lehi prayed for his people in verse 6. He was not a prophet at this time of prayer (for his call to Prophet came in subsequent verses), so what prompted such an outpouring of concern from a simple God-fearing Jew?

I did some research and found my answer in this excerpt from the Maxwell Institute:

The engaging story of Lehi's call is familiar to virtually every person who has ever begun to read the Book of Mormon. It came in the commencement of the first year of the reign of Zedekiah (1 Nephi 1:4), king of Judah, in 597/596 BC. This was undoubtedly an unforgettably troubling year, for in the first part of December, 598 BC, Jehoiakim, king of Judah, had died. His son Jehoiachin, who was probably only an adolescent, was made king.Three months and ten days later, on 16 March (2 Adar), 597 BC, Jerusalem fell, having been besieged by the Babylonians (2 Kings 24:10–16). They deposed King Jehoiachin and deported him to Babylon, along with many of the leading citizens, soldiers, and craftsmen of Jerusalem (Jeremiah 24:1), leaving Jehoiachin's uncle, the mere twenty-one-year-old Zedekiah, on the throne as a puppet king. Therefore, at the time when Lehi became concerned about the welfare of his people, the still-insurgent Jews at Jerusalem already knew well the indomitable military power of the Babylonians and were in a weakened political position with an inexperienced, twenty-one-year-old king at their helm. The situation in Jerusalem was grave and volatile, if not already desperate....it appears more likely that he (Lehi) was profoundly moved to pray, motivated by the problems in Jerusalem and by the messages of the prophets whom he had just heard.


You can read the full article here.

I knew there was some unrest, but didn't understand the precarious situation Lehi and his family found themselves in. That state of unrest and uncertainty would most definitely compel a righteous man to pray.


The experience he had afterwards came as a direct consequence of his supplication to the Lord.

Many times we go through life wondering, waiting and worrying if the Lord sees us and will help us, when He is merely waiting for us to come to Him.

On Sunday my husband stood before the ward and as their Bishop challenged each person to ask the Lord for direction, to find out what is the one thing He would like them to do or improve.

I had read the outline of his lesson beforehand, but his delivery, coupled with the Spirit and His mantle as key-holder for me and the other ward members, touched my heart. Since then I have pondered on it, and have come to the Lord in fervent prayer to find what He wants me to do.


In verse 18, Lehi's reaction to the direction he received was immediate: he went forth and began to prophesy.

I hope that my reaction - no, I am determined that my reaction will be the same. When I get my answer from Him, I will go forth and begin to do what He has asked me to do - what He has chosen me to do.

In verse 20 Nephi speaks of the tender mercies of the Lord  over all those whom He hath chosen, because of their faith to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

I don't know what that one thing might be, but I do have faith in Him. And I know that He will show me tender mercies as I strive to follow through.




Challenge: Approach the Lord in prayer and ask Him what one thing He would have you to work on, improve, change or do now.  Listen. And when you get the answer...go forth and do it.




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing the insight on the history at the time, makes it much more interesting to me at least to understand the whole picture. I like the idea of this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful you are leading the scripture discussion again! I was very touched by Bishop's talk Sunday and have been pondering it a lot since.

    The thing about Nephi and Lehi- they were the epitome of "i will go, I will do... The things the Lord commands." That's the second part of my goal... The first part is to find out what the "thing" is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I read the outline before hand, and I was still very moved! He was inspired to say so many things. I was, and still am, totally motivated it find my one thing, too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the insight on the history at the time, makes it much more interesting to me at least to understand the whole picture. I like the idea of this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me, Bonnie! I'm a big picture kinda girl, but sometimes all that matters to me in an entire chapter is one verse, or even word! I never know what's going to hit me hen I read! Good luck with your challenge!

      Delete
  4. I love it! what a great way to start the year! thanks for the blog and being amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts