1 Nephi 15

Click here to read this chapter online.

I was really fascinated by a few things in this chapter:

First of all, I could feel the wave of emotions Nephi must have felt in the beginning verses here.  He had just come from perhaps his most spiritual and intimate experience in his life, to a tent full of arguing brothers. 

Take into consideration that at this point, Nephi has a very clear understanding of how Laman and Lemuel will end up- miserable.  And their seed as well.  Can you imagine that? Think of someone you love that is struggling. Then think what it would be like if you were told they wouldn't make it. It would be heartbreaking.  It was for Nephi.  So much so that he thought it was the worst thing in the world have know and have happen (5).  It was so tough for him, (and also he was most likely spiritually exhausted from the vision) that he actually had to take some time to gather himself together before he could talk with them (6)

And eve though he knew how things would end up, he still taught them, loved them, pleaded with them and stuck by them until the Lord told him to leave.

I imagine it's a little like watching a movie you know the ending to, but you still yell at the screen: get off the boat!  It's sinking!!  Your cries fall on deaf ears, but you can't contain yourself.

And Nephi couldn't either. So he talked with them, he humbled them, and he taught them.


One of the biggest problems that Laman and Lemuel had is that they were lazy. They complained about work, putting effort into things, afflictions, etc. They didn't even make the effort to inquire of the Lord to find answers for themselves. 

When Nephi asked if they had asked the Lord what their father's  dream meant, they said, No, cuz He didn't come and tell us (paraphrasing v 9, of course.)

Nephi sounded exasperated. The next 2 verses he says (paraphrasing again)  Are you serious? Are you guys really that dense? It's so simple: be obedient, ask in faith and He'll give you answers. But you guys don't keep the commandments and you're totally willing to suffer really bad consequences, just because you're lazy, stubborn and prideful. Seriously?

Nephi didn't even wait for their response. He just went right into it. And he didn't start with the warm-fuzzy stuff. He started in with what's going to them and their seed if they stay on their path of hard-heartedness. It would be generations before their seed would come back to a knowledge of the Savior. But even then, they would scatter again.

That must have touched their crusty hearts, for finally (20) they humbled themselves before the Lord.

Then they began to ask questions. And some of the questions (31) were really good ones! They were insightful and pertinent. It shows that L&L were quite intelligent. They just needed to use their powers for good. And when they did- they got answers.


I think sometimes I can be lazy like them. Sometimes I figure if God wants me to do a particular thing bad enough, He'll tell me. Most times when I have that attitude, it's because I don't want to, or am not ready to, find the answer just yet.  It's an excuse. 

For some it really is just laziness.  They want to Lord to do all the work for them.

Another thing that caught my attention as in verse 27. Nephi mentioned that, even though it was his dad's own vision, there was so much going on that his dad didn't catch the filthiness of the waters.

Fascinating!  I guess I thought if it was his vision, he'd see everything. I mean, it's right there in front of him. But, his mind was focused on other aspects of the vision (the people) that he missed it.

Then my mind immediately turned to this blog.  I have the scriptures right in front of me. I see them, and my mind focuses in on certain aspects of them.  But, then I read your comments, and I am amazed at the things that I didn't see because my mind was swallowed up in other things. 

I am so grateful for your comments, and how it allows me to see more!  So, thank you very much for being another set of eyes. It means so much to me!

QUESTION: Verses 27-36 talk of filthiness. In particular, verse 33 speaks of how filthy things cannot dwell with God. How much of this truth plays a part in the necessity of us leaving His presence to experience mortal life here on earth? Why or why not?


Comments

  1. So, Nephi’s father has a dream, tells the family about it, and Nephi wants to understand the meaning of it. He goes and inquires of the Lord and has an incredible spiritual experience with an angel and the Holy Ghost. His understanding is deeply increased and the mysteries of God became, for him, a little less mysterious. I can imagine how spiritually drained, (edified, yes, but tired at the same time) he must have felt after his experience. He returns to the tent and what does he find? Lamen and Lemual are fighting/arguing about Lehi’s dream. I think, had I been Nephi, my first instinct would have been to look at them with disappointment, shake my head in bewilderment and their continued hard-heartedness, turn around, flip that tent flap back open and walk out in frustration. Not Nephi. He stays right there and asks what is going on. Again, he encourages them to ask the Lord in faith, knowing they will receive an answer. He then spends the next however many minutes (hours?) explaining the meaning of Lehi’s dream to them. It’s like they need to be spoon fed every little morsel of information, but even then, they don’t want to hear it or believe it! (I will leave that for the next chapter.)

    This really made me think about my own life. How good am I about first turning to God for answers to questions I might have about the gospel or other things or struggles I am trying to overcome or whatever? Heavenly Father should be the first person I turn to through prayer. I need to become less quick to argue or dispute the things I am taught by the prophets and more quick to turn to Heavenly Father for answers and increased understanding.

    To answer your question:

    I never thought of needing to leave God’s presence to come to this earth because of the filthiness of it. WOW! Hmmm…Does that really play a part? I would say, yes. We had to have an opportunity to know good from evil. Evil is filthy. We had to experience evil to really grow and become the people God knows we can become. After all, it has been said, there no comfort in the growing zone and there is no growing in the comfort zone. The diamond in the rough really is the perfect example…the higher the heat, the more beautiful the diamond. I don’t think we can even comprehend the beauty of a Celestial world. To really know and love and appreciate (words are not adequately describing my feelings) the Celestial beauty, peace and goodness (total opposite of filth), we had to experience the filth of evil. And to do that, we had to leave our Father’s presence, as the Savior, our perfect example, also had to do.

    Thank you, Michelle, for asking such thought-provoking, mind bending questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I see a couple of misspellings (maybe more?) Did you catch them? (Laman and Lemuel) Also, I feel like part of my post from today may leave a wrong impression. It is not in my nature to dispute things the Prophet tells me. I may be slow to follow at times, but not slow to believe his words.

      Delete
  2. Verse 3 states: "and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought." I think we all qualify as having a hard heart based on this definition.

    Also, I was thinking about the intelligence level of Laman and Lemuel. They weren't dummies. They were smart men who had a hard time "proving" God to be true. Just check out their question in verse 31? That's a pretty intelligent question. Their weakness was just not looking to the Lord as they ought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were a lot of things that struck me, but the one point in particular was vs 28. I have read it many times, but this morning I realized it says the wicked will be separated from not only God, but the Saints of God by the filthy waters in the gulf.

    I stopped and thought about how many people I have met over the years that did not feel comfortable in the church because they did not want to be around the people. How hard it was to come because they didn't have the right clothes, haircut, background, etc. Probably there was wickedness as well, even if it was only pride. But reality is... they are separated from the group of people who might do them the most good and help encourage them back to God because they didn't feel like they could associate with the people! How sad.

    I often feel I don't belong at church- for a multitude of reasons and have struggled with the feeling throughout my life. I don't wear fancy shoes, I dress for comfort instead of the latest style, I have my hair in a braid and no make-up. It's not that I don't care about those things, it is just that I don't!! Comfort and durability all the way. My temporal and social priorities are different than many sisters.

    There is alot more that drives my "don't belong" attitude, and it is totally okay. I don't have to "belong" in the social sense. I can still come to church, worship the Lord, take the sacrament, learn and grow WITH other Saints- even if I don't fit in. That is the wonderful thing about having a testimony and being a member of the LORD'S church... it is not based on how we look, what callings we hold, or if we even agree on a lot of things. It is about being on the right side of the river! That was a profound couple of words in that verse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts