The Merciful Shall Obtain Mercy

The Merciful Shall Obtain Mercy, by President Uchtdorf

I chose this recent conference talk as my Monday study because I just love it- and I need to hear it.

A few things he said really stuck out to me"

 Forgiveness for our sins comes with conditions. We must repent, and we must be willing to forgive others. Jesus taught: “Forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not … [stands] condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin”3 and “Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.”4

Many times we focus on our own salvation, but what I think we don't understand is that we really can't reach our own salvation without others. We need imperfect people to love and to forgive. Without our family, friends, acquaintances, etc- we simply wouldn't have the means to reach our salvation, our greatest potential.


But when it comes to our own prejudices and grievances, we too often justify our anger as righteous and our judgment as reliable and only appropriate. Though we cannot look into another’s heart, we assume that we know a bad motive or even a bad person when we see one. We make exceptions when it comes to our own bitterness because we feel that, in our case, we have all the information we need to hold someone else in contempt.

So true.



Of course, the bottom line of his message is: STOP IT!

Sounds easy.

Stop judging others. Give them a break. Don't assume you know their hearts, their intents, their past. Give people the benefit of the doubt.  Why is it so hard to do?

So how is it done? President Uchtdorf tells us the answer: Through the love of God.


I have noticed that as I have tried to see people through God's eyes, I do see them differently. I have more patience with them, more kindness and love towards them. I see the beauty in them, and see their struggles.  I see the same in myself.

But, it takes a purposeful effort for me to do that. I wish it came more naturally.  I struggle with high expectations for myself and those around me. I can be hard on myself and them, and disappointment comes easy.  I know I have to take a step back and, not necessarily lower, but readjust expectations.

I know that I can ask God for help.

The pure love of Christ can remove the scales of resentment and wrath from our eyes, allowing us to see others the way our Heavenly Father sees us: as flawed and imperfect mortals who have potential and worth far beyond our capacity to imagine. Because God loves us so much, we too must love and forgive each other.



The Savior promised: “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over. … For with the same measure that [you use] it shall be measured to you again.”14
Shouldn’t this promise be enough to always focus our efforts on acts of kindness, forgiveness, and charity instead of on any negative behavior?


I think I might love this part the most: Remember, heaven is filled with those who have this in common: They are forgiven. And they forgive.


I feel as if his ending words were for me: Lay your burden at the Savior’s feet. Let go of judgment. Allow Christ’s Atonement to change and heal your heart. Love one another. Forgive one another.
The merciful will obtain mercy.
I want to lay my burden at his feet. Not that I judge people, but as they, and myself, don't meet my expectations, in a way I am judging them- and myself. I need to let the Savior, how knows their potential and their hearts, be the judge.

I need to lay my burdens at his feet, and give myself the freedom to be, and allow other's the same.


What did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. We know we can't judge others, but reality is, we have to make "judgement calls" all the time for personal safety, emotional safety, and trust based on other people's behavior and attitude. I think people get the two confused and there is a definitely a difference.

    Forgiving should be easy, but sometimes it is the harder of the two. Depending on the offense, it may take some time to work through whatever hurt was there and let things go.

    The key is understanding when things like judging, judgment calls, and forgiving fall into their rightful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts