Faith

This will be short. I am sick and feel just awful! (I'm such a baby!) I don' have scripture references, or talks or any quotes to share. It was my intention to- but it didn't work out.  But, I do have one thought to share:

I went water skiing a few years ago for the very first time. I struggled for 45 minutes to get up on the water skis. Every intent was met with pain and failure. I tried, but could not get up. I struggled with balance, against the waves, the speed- everything was so difficult for me.

Finally, nearly an hour into I, I made it up onto the skis. It was amazing. I glided across the top of the water. I felt free and fast. It was such a contrast to the struggled that I had had while I was in the water.

It was brilliantly simple........so I got scared.  I doubted the ease of the way. In ten short seconds I convinced myself that it was too easy, that it must not be right. I feared that I wasn't just sking, but the I was flying to my death.

So I let go of the ropes.  And I sank back into the protection of the familiar water.

Life can be a struggle. In fact, so much so that we can get used to, and even feel comfortable in the struggle. We struggle with decisions and people, circumstances and even principles.

But, when we practice faith, God can help us rise above all of that. When we have faith in the principles we are taught, we don't need to argue with ourselves and others if they are true, we simply follow them.  When we pray to God for an answer and we receive if, faith allows us to follow His counsel without doubt or fear or regret.

Living in faith is easy. It raises us above the turbulent waters of the world, allowing us to glide in His wake.

Now- this doesn't meant that life won't be hard.  We are here to be tried and tested.  But, with faith, we can surpass much of the pain and struggle, and get a clearer picture of the purpose of this life.

When I was finally up, I let go.  I was used to the resistance of the water, the fight, the failing.  In life we can do that, too. When we choose to have faith, some things get easier. When we get answers, we tend to overthink or overanalyze the answer, often considering it too easy.  We think we that constant struggle is a badge of sainthood.  We make things harder for ourselves, when in fact, if we had a greater faith, our lives would be so much easier.

Faith, to me, is turning my fears and doubts over to Him makes my life easier.  Trading my sins for obedience, tears for prayers, light for darkness- it all makes my life easier.

When I was skiing, I still had to hold on the rope. In this life, I still have to put forth effort to hold onto my testimony, my lifeline to Heavenly Father. I still have to do my part and work and endure.  It will still be a test that requires effort. But, with faith I can enjoy a peace and perspective that comes from being lifted above the world, and not being continually pounded by it.

Anyway- just the thought that's been stuck in my head this week.  Hope it makes sense. :)




Comments

  1. It is amazing to me that in the midst of trials, if you make a point to turn to Heavenly Father in prayer and read your scriptures, you can find the peace that is promised and you can feel a sense of peace even when it feels like everything is falling apart. It's been a rough ride this year, but it is the peace that the gospel brings that has helped me through it! Thanks for chatting with me yesterday at church. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts