Alma 43

Alma 43

Starting the war chapters...

I read the first two verses about Alma- he couldn't rest, he knew he had a work to do.  I've felt that in my personal life lately- a call do something specific.  And, since I've gotten that answer, that call, I can't rest. I think about it, I plan for it, I work on it.  It's been wonderful.

I think sometimes in life Heavenly Father gives us inner motivation for a specific goal, He instills in us a compulsion towards something, or someone. We find ourselves driven, unable to rest. I felt that way when I met my husband for the first time. I knew I HAD to go out with him. I didn't know why. I mean, I didn't even know him.  I just felt this overwhelming need to be with  him.  Now I understand.

I hope the same thing will happen with this particular journey, that I will someday understand why I feel compelled to go this direction.




 I am excited to start reading about Captain Moroni again. Twenty one- that's how young he was when he became chief captain. He was wise, brave and he was merciful. And he was so tough. I get weak when I think I've upset someone driving on the freeway, even if they are the ones in the wrong. I can't imagine facing an army of Lamanites!


He inspires me to be a better person.

What did you think/learn today?






-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is my previous post on Alma 43 I wrote last year:
The first two verses of this chapter hit home to me today.  Alma saw his sons go forth among the people to declare the word to them.  He could not rest, so he went out as well to preach the word.  I wonder if it's like the feeling I get on Black Friday, where I know there are so many sales out there, and I just can't stay home and miss them...

But seriously- if I examine my faith, and what I truly believe, how can I rest? How can I not serve or share or read or testify?  If I can rest from all that- then do I need to reexamine the level of my testimony?

In verse 2 it talks about not just what they did, but how they did it. They magnified their callings through personal revelation and integrity.  They honored the order of God and the priesthood they held.

Now we get into the "war chapters"........................... this has been likened to eating saltine crackers without drinking any water.  But, let's see what nuggets we can find together.  :)

I am going to steal from a previous post on another blog of mine a pattern that I recognized in chapter 43 (and two additional verses from other chapters that tie in).  They are the Keys to Winning a War.


1. Know your cause and what you are fighting for. (43:9)
2. Recognize the enemy (43:10-11)
3. Arm yourself and prepare well (43:18-19)
4. Seek and follow the Lord's counsel (43:24,47)
5. Make a strategic plan (43:29-44)
6. Remember your cause (43:45)
7. Cry to the Lord for strength  when you need help (43:49)
8. Fight with Divine Power - you are not alone (43:50)
9. Acknowledge the Lord's hand (44:4)
10. Give thanks to the Lord (54:1)


These steps were imperative in fighting against the Lamanites.  These same steps are imperative in our fight against the Adversary. I often revisit these steps to make sure I am applying every one in my life.  I ask myself about each step: Do I know my cause and what I am fighting for? Do I recognize the Adversary and his tactics? And so on.





Comments

  1. A couple of things struck me this morning. If you take the first part of the chapter, vs 6, you could substitute several current political figures around the world for Zerahemnah's name and the United States for the Nephites and the chapter would start to read like a modern day story. Scarey, but true.

    Then reading the difference between the Lamanites and the Nephites and the preparations made to go to war, it reminds me of the primary lesson about having on the full armor of God. If we are not prepared with ALL our armor, we are going to be cut down, just like the Lamanites. Instead of a man now and then, it was mass destruction. And that primary lesson where they dress up the person with all the catch phrases attached to the armor... it's more than that I am finding. It's having a clearer understanding of the world around me so I can not be taken by surprise when something happens. It's understanding that Satan is SO real and capable of so much more than we give him credit for.

    And finally, in verse 46-47. This one really spoke to me this morning. As long as you do not given the first or second offense, you are not required to lay down and let someone kill you. You have the right and the okay from God to defend yourself and your family.

    It's hard to fight those battles sometimes, I know the one we have been immersed in for months has been so difficult! But I am grateful that we did not purposefully give offense, because in the end, the win was so much sweeter. But I also know that once the battle is won, the guard cannot go down because it doesn't mean the bad guys aren't still trying. Yes, cryptic. But it applies to family as well as country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of things to think about in this chapter. Moroni sure was one clever captain. The people were very blessed to have him. I love how he prepared every way he could for the battle and also sought out the Lords help. This is the way we are taught to battle our personal trials. We must do our part and then together with the Lord we can do much.

    My favourite verses were 48 - 50. How many times have we wanted to "shrink and flee" from a personal trial, just as the Nephites did from the fierce Lamanites? Moroni inspired them though and they cried out to God for help. We can receive inspiration and strength from God to battle our trials also if we but cry out to him.

    Great to be back reading this wonderful book again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts