4 Nephi: 1-23

4 Nephi:1-23

Just two years after the Savior came were all the people converted to the Lord.  How cool is that? I had to chuckle as I read that in verse two as I wondered what the story of the very last guy to be converted was. I mean, everyone else in the entire land was a member of the Church, but this guy. (I named him Phil.) I wonder what was Phil's hold up? I wonder if his wife ever said, "Told you it was true, Phil?"  Who knows. It was just a humorous random thought I had. (That's what I get for reading my scriptures early in the morning.)

On to better and brighter things:

I split this chapter into to parts because 1: it was a long chapter, and 2: I wanted to focus on happy things.

First, I love how each person that was converted was baptized and received the Holy Ghost, just as we do today. It shows that Jesus's Church is truly the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Verse 15:...and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.

What made these people so happy for two hundred years?

Here is a list of the things they did:


  1. They were each and every one fully converted to the Lord.
  2. They dealt justly with each other
  3. They did not fight with each other 
  4. They gave freely and shared
  5. They worked hard and were industrious
  6. They understood the importance of marriage
  7. They fasted and prayed
  8. They met together often to hear the word of the Lord

And because they did these things, they were blessed with:

  1. Great and marvelous works by the disciples in the name of Jesus Christ (the Priesthood)
    1. Their sick healed
    2. Their dead were raised
    3. Their lame walked
    4. The blind saw
    5. The deaf heard
  2. The Lord prospered them, helping them rebuild cities, and build new ones.
  3. The love of God
  4. No robbers, murderers
  5. A united people- no -ites, just believers.
  6. A fair and delightsome people
  7. They were happy



Great lists, but it really comes to to the simplest formula:

    True conversion
The love of God in our hearts
=  Pure Happiness

It was what their forefather, Lehi, tried to teach his family over 600 years before.

And it's what they are trying to tell us.

It's a simple equation, a profound lesson.

And one that applies to us today, just as much as it did two thousand years ago.



Comments

  1. I love the point that if the love of God is your focus, all the bad things simply go away because no one has a disposition to do anything wrong!

    While sometimes it is harder than others, to have the desire and commitment to listen to the spirit to guide your daily actions - to keep a prayer in your heart - to want to hear what God wants you to do.... it helps so much in keeping a positive attitude.

    I imagine that these righteous people couldn't have been any happier. If the world around you- this includes the world inside your own home- are all on the same righteous page... the stresses caused by others just wouldn't exist. I know I would have so much peace if I wasn't always dealing with the stress caused by others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts