Alma 18

Alma 18

I thought it was interesting in verse 10 how Lamoni defined a faithful servant as one who "doth remember all  my commandments to execute them."  Today I taught a lesson about prophets in Gospel Principles.  One of the questions asked was 'How can we sustain our prophet?'   And one of the answers was to follow all of his commandments- not just the ones that we like or are convenient, but all of them.

It would be nice if the Savior can say the same thing about us that Lamoni said about Ammon, "surely there has not been any servant among all my servants that has been so faithful as this man (woman); for even he (she) doth remember all my commandments and execute them."


I love how in verse 17 Ammon shows his willingness to serve Lamoni  in anything he desires "which is right."  His dedication to choosing the right supersedes all- even a king.

When Ammon finally had King Lamoni's attention, he started teaching him based on their common ground: the Great Spirit. When a missionary or teacher takes that approach, they go on the journey with them and make it a positive experience, not an overwhelming one.

He went at the pace that was good for King Lamoni.  He explained how  the Lamanites got to where they were- cleared the air, so to speak.  Then, in verse 30, he expounded on the Plan of Redemption. To be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

What did you think/learn today?

===

Comments

  1. I think it is interesting when Ammon asked Lamoni if he believed in God, Lamoni didn't understand. But when Ammon changed his wording to reflect "Great Spirit" Lamoni understood. This is something I think about often in relation to other words. We (LDS) use certain terms to describe things which actually mean the same thing in other philosophies and religions. We are talking about the same thing, we just don't necessarily recognize it.

    I try to pay attention those "similar terms" when talking to people in more than just religion. I find myself having to stop and explain something to people in 'their" language in general communication.

    I always like it when small and simple lessons are brought out in the scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa! Yeah I was thinking how great it would be to be a fly on the wall during that conversation too!

    The verse I liked in this chapter was verse 32 when Ammon talks about God looking down upon all his children and that he knows all the thoughts and intents of their hearts. I hope that my Father in Heaven is fairly happy with how I have lived my life and the intents of my heart. I know that I can still do much better though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts