Alma 13

Alma 13

And we're back!

What would it have been like to hear Alma as he spoke these words. He felt it so passionately, to the point in verse 17 when he said it caused him anxiety even unto pain.  I have felt that way when I think of my children.  I want the best for them.  I want them to happy, to make good choices, to receive blessings and have faith.

But, Alma felt this for people he didn't know.  I liken this to when our Bishop says he loves each member if his congregation, or President Monson says he loves and appreciates and prays for each member of the church (all 16 million of us.)   Is it possible to feel that way for people we don't know, and perhaps never met?

Yes.

Well, I haven't felt this to the extent of Alma, but I have on a smaller level.  It happens when I am testifying of the gospel and the Savior.  It happens because I know how I feel, and I want that for the people that I'm testifying to.  I want them to feel what I'm feeling.

I don't that, at least on my small level, that it has anything to do with me.  It has all to do with Heavenly Father allowing someone to feel the love that He has for someone else.  That's how I feel about my kids always (well, most always, lol.)  And, when I open the windows to heaven as I testify (the same thing that happens to all of us when we testify of the truth) I feel it for others.

It's quite miraculous, really.  If you're unsure if it could happen to you, I say try it.

I also love the straight-forwardness of Alma.  He wanted them to be humble and to have faith. He spoke of the importance of the Priesthood and of course, the Savior.  He spoke of the love of God and repentance.  It was beautiful exhortation. And there's even more that wasn't written down.

It'll be interesting to see tomorrow how the people react.

Comments

  1. So good to be back! :)

    Lots of good verses in this chapter. I loved the verse that talked about how they looked upon sin with abhorrence. Dictionary definition - strongly disliked, or loathed. We need to be like this.

    Melchizedek sounds like a wonderful man. A great role model for priesthood holders.

    Faith is also talked about a lot in this chapter. How do we increase our faith? Reading the Book of Mormon every day is a great way! Take some time to admire the Lords beautiful creations outside. Nature is such a great evidence of his existence. And pray to the Father and feel the spirit touch your heart. We should try to build our faith every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo! I always love to hear your perspective! And yes, it is SOOOOOOO good to be back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts