1 Nephi 4

"Lazy hearts, thinking brains, and murder."
Again, back to Laman and Lemuel. They'd just seen an angel and now, in verse1-3 had just received a stirring rebuke by Nephi, and yet they were still angry.
I found this great insight by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. (Link to the full article HERE)
"Fundamental, too, was Laman and Lemuel’s not understanding that a tutoring God may require difficult things of His children. The role of adversity is noted in this stern but inspired insight: 'Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.' Their sad expectation of ease was evident in their bristling over getting the plates from Laban, enduring the harsh wilderness, building a ship, and crossing a vast ocean. Dulled and desensitized, Laman and Lemuel simply didn’t share Nephi’s confidence that the Lord would never command His children to do difficult things, except the Lord first prepares the way.
Their enormous errors led to almost comical inconsistencies, such as Laman and Lemuel’s believing that God could handle mighty Pharaoh and great Egypt’s army at the Red Sea all right, but not a local Laban! How many in our time inconsistently subordinate themselves to, and curry favor with, mortal intimidators?"
It seemed L&L were lazy and afraid.
In an effort to continually apply the scriptures to my life, I have to pause and ask myself, are there times when I feel a bit lazy or afraid. Are there times in my life where I expect God to speak louder, do more, make my life easier, vanquish my enemies, pave the way?
Also, do I fear man more than God? Their opinions, their power, their perspective?
Do I sometimes have a lazy heart, and expect God to change it without effort and risk (though there is no risk if we choose Him) on my part?
Lots to think about this morning.
The Spirit constrained Nephi to kill Laban.
Elder Holland gave on the justification of murder HERE, which is worth the read.
But I want to focus on how Nephi traveled mentally from verse 10, when the Spirit told him to kill Laban, to verse 18 where he actually did.
There are many who dislike the term "blind obedience." They think faith is a crutch, as if faith and obedience were excuses to not think or take responsibility.
It is exactly the opposite.
It takes great cognitive, emotional, and spiritual (and even physical) strength to choose to believe truth. And even more to follow it.
Nephi received direct and unmistakable revelation from God. Yet, without doubting, Nephi thought through it. He didn't doubt the revelation he received or the Spirit, or God. He "remembered" words he'd been taught before. The reasoned in his mind about the law and the vital access to it for righteousness sake.
He had a thinking mind. And he obeyed.
D&C 9:8 states we should study things out in our minds. I agree.
The caveat it, as we are doing this, what is our intent. Are we trying to match our perspective and reality to the impressions or commandments we receive, like Nephi? Or are we trying to doubt or disprove God's word because it doesn't match with our perspective and reality, like L&L?
Now, back to murder.
Nephi was told that it was better that one man should perish than a nation should dwindle in unbelief (v 13).
I doubt God is going to ask me to kill another person.
BUT- I DO believe He asks me to sacrifice things that I don't always want to so the rest of me won't dwindle.
Certain ways I spend my time, certain grudges I hold, certain fears or doubts....you get the picture.
Sometimes God asks us to cut off or eliminate things that seem too hard or don't make sense. But as we adjust our perspective and reality to His using our thinking brains, and choose to follow Him, we will be blessed.
K- that's all I got for now. Time to get ready for church!



Comments

Popular Posts