Alma 42

Alma 42 is the final of four chapters (39-42) that contain a letter written by Alma to his son Corianton.  Corianton served a mission with his dad, but lost perspective and chose a different path.  These chapters 39-42 are Corianton's call to repentance, an explanation in the plainest terms of the plan of salvation, self-mastery, the coming of Christ, resurrection and so forth.  They are full of beautiful written doctrine taught with the love of a concerned father.


I love how Alma explains the Fall, and the need for a plan to redeem mankind.  Here he uses the terms "plan of salvation", "plan of happiness"  and '"the plan of redemption" to describe that plan.  He lays out the precarious state of man after expelled from the garden, and makes me see the need for such a plan.

Then, in verse 15 he teaches the plan cannot happen unless there is an atonement made. It makes sense.

I absolutely love the path of logic Alma takes in verses 16 - 24.  Makes me wonder if Alma could have been a lawyer in another life.  

By verse 29 I wrote "Let your sin trouble you to repentance."

By verse 30 I wrote "Do no excuse your sins by denying justice."  That reasoning is so prevalent today.  Many deny God, or say that God should love everyone no matter what they do.  He does love us all regardless of our choices.  But, He cannot take away the demands of justice.  Hence the need for a Savior.

Also, I  love how the Gospel is called the Good News - because that's what it is. I love that fact that even though Corianton messed up, his father continued to teach him in patience and love.  And, at the end of chapter 42, Corianton receives another call, another chance, to serve.  The fact that we can repent for our mistakes and continue to grow is truly good news.

There is so much I could write about this!  But, I would love to hear what you have to say.  

TOMORROW'S READING: Alma 43

Comments

  1. I look at this chapter from a parent's perspective today. We have household rules, consequences and rewards. The guidelines we set up are equal to everyone in the home. Just as the Lord had to set up guidelines for His earthly home.

    I remember wishing my children came with a book. It's only the last few years I finally realized would be easy to use the Lord as the supreme example for parenting.

    We don't "control" our children, but we are in control. The Lord doesn't control us, but He is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I just sat down to check a few emails, avoiding the nagging thought all morning that I still need to read my scriptures, so I stopped dead in my tracks and picked up Alma 42 after I opened your email. It truly is a marvelous few chapters, like you mentioned, of a father's great desire to help his worrying son recognize what God's plan is for him and all of mankind. These passages mean so much more to me as I proceed through this mortal journey and I have the same great desire as Alma, for my children and family, to accept the 'great plan of happiness' for we know it is the one and only way back to God. Sadly, agency robs many of peace and joy in this life for a few moments of fleeting happiness. So much of this life is based on FAITH and we must continue forward until we are given the knowledge to know the truthfulness of this Gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I love the parental perspective! I have a tendency on occasion to micromanage the behaviors in my home. Your comments remind me that I can still be in control without controlling it all.

    Amye, I'm so glad you commented! I think it's neat that both you and Angie looked at it from a family perspective. I also love how you brought it back to continual faith and learning.

    I am already SO glad I started this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Verse 9 - "... as the soul could never die ....". Often we think of death as "the end". That affects how we view "mortal death" and "spiritual death". But each of us an entity has no beginning and no end. As Pres. Harlod B. Lee taught, "We have one eternal life, with many stages in it." If it is not possible for a entity to cease to exist, then the plan (and the opposition to it) is all about where to exist, not if.
    Verse 20 - " ... if there was no law given against sin men would not be afraid to sin." Does law create the consequences of sin, or merely describe those consequences? In thinking about that question I am influenced by Pres. Joseph F. Smith - "Commandments are loving advice from our Father in Heaven."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little behind because I have truly loved reading this chapter! I love being reminded about our probationary time and what we need to do and why it is necessary :) I was able to use this idea today in a conversation with my daughter who was complaining about middle school and she didn't understand why they should be graded. I told her it is preparing her for more education. A prepatory stage of learning that allows her to learn and the grades help judge her progress. I then had the opportunity to compare it our mortal life and share some things we've been reading :)
    Also, I love the scriptures that talk about the demands of justice...it made more sense to me today, that God, in his nature, is perfect, and he possesses the attribute of justice perfectly, so he can't both save his children and ignore the law of justice...an atonement was needed. I've always heard that both laws couldn't be satisfied, but I guess it never really sunk in why God had to obey the eternal laws of justice perfectly...he is a perfect god.
    Thanks Michelle for this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts